With the holidays coming up, the treats at the office and holiday parties just don’t seem to stop! While it is absolutely fine to indulge, how about a treat you won’t feel so guilty about eating or bringing to a cookie swap? Here’s a recipe for a healthier biscotti- sans butter and oil, and is easy to make, transport, and definitely a favorite for many!
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Heat a skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the almonds, stir frequently, until nuts are slightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine the sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and eggs in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium speed (you can whisk together too).
- Combine flours, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and beat until well mixed together. Stir in the toasted almonds.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray (or line with parchment paper) and spread dough out to an 8 x 10 rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough in half and separate the two. Cut each diagonally into 1/2 inch wide strips. Let some room in between the cookies and bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Happy and healthy holidays,