Happy June! Summer is almost here, which means… it’s strawberry season! During my visit to the farmer’s market this weekend I bought a quart of fresh strawberries and decided to use it to in my baking. This cake is the perfect dessert to celebrate summer, bursting with fresh lemon and strawberry flavors. The addition of Greek yogurt and applesauce makes this cake extra moist. It is ideal for spring and summer time when you are looking for a healthy and light treat!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour + 3 tablespoons, divided
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup of Greek vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of diced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees. Spray cooking spray around the edges of a loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
- Sift the two flours, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, and applesauce.
- Slowly whisk the dry flour mixture into the yogurt mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Toss strawberries in 3 tablespoons of flour and add into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes, until a toothpick is placed in the center and it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving!